Monday, September 8, 2008

A Big Kid, His Backpack & No Bus


Pete kept asking if I was going to cry, but Elliott's first day of school really wasn't traumatic in any way!
Elliott woke up at 7:30, immediately asking me if it was time to go to school. As soon as he was dressed, he stationed himself on the couch, backpack firmly on both shoulders. When Pete went downstairs to get the dogs out of their beds, Elliott headed outside, thinking his ride had left. (It took A LOT of convincing to get him back inside for a few minutes!)
I pumped him for details of his two-and-a-half hour-day when I picked him up, but I got limited info. Every answer had an automatically generated conclusion, like so:
Me: Did you have a fun day at school?
Elliott: Yes, but I really want to ride the school bus.
Me: I know, buddy. Soon! Next week, okay?
E: Okay, but I really, really want to ride it.
Me: [Distract him! Change the subject!] Well, what did you do today? Did you play, make friends, have a snack?
E: Yeah... [He goes on to tell me about the activities and how he didn't drink the apple juice because he drinks pomegranate juice -- please don't let me kid get beaten up because of the juice we serve him] ... but I really want to ride the school bus.
One-track mind?
We fight the bus battle until Monday since this week is technically his evaluation period. But Miss Susie reported that he had a great first day!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool backpack and shoes!
-Megan

orahoods said...

That is totally adorable...all of it. He has the greatest, sweetest, and coolest personality of any little boy I know! I'll be anxiously awaiting reports from next week when the bus gets involved!!

Jill said...

How cool for Elliott!!! I'm very excited to hear the stories that come home with him from school. I'm sure there will be some blog worthy ones...

Way to go Elliott!