Thursday, November 1, 2012

Happy All Hallows' Eve!

'Tis no secret. I love Halloween. Without a care in the world, I can skip birthdays and Christmas on this here blog, but never do I miss Halloween!
 
To further prove my affection for the holiday, I'll show you what I carried to pick up the boys after school--
Ahhhhhhhh! That is one seriously cute cow (in Elliott's old baby costume!).  
 
But that's just mid-afternoon fun. I digress. Onto the all-important Trick-or-Treat!
 
Now, I love duo (even trio!) costumes, but dang it if these boys aren't getting older and more opinionated about how they'll dress for Halloween! When Patrick made a new best friend at school and discovered he had a complete knight costume he'd willingly lend, Patrick's costume was set in stone. The ONLY thing I was allowed to do was add a big poofy feather to the top of his helmet (necessary, in my opinion, although Pete disagreed)--
Do you like how he's totally twisted so I could get the full-body shot, complete with the sword and sheath (attached to his pants with pipe cleaners)?
 
Poor Patrick could hardly speak with that part pulled around his chin, but hey. He could choose to see or speak. Who needs BOTH senses? (Remember, we're suffering for candy here. FREE chocolate!) 
 
I was able to have a little more fun with Elliott's getup, a cowboy sheriff, kinda like Woody from Toy Story-- 
(Why, no. I did NOT give him direction when he struck that pose, but thank you for asking. The face, I will tell you, is titled "Tough Law Enforcer," not "Misery, Thy Name Is Elliott," believe it or not.)
 
Anyway, the Local Law's costume was all about the details, including the gun and (disguised iPhone case) belt buckle--
 
... a real sheriff's badge on a cow hide vest (cut from a hand-me-down baby costume! and different from the one James wore earlier)--
 
...and spurs (attached with paper clips for AT LEAST 14 seconds) for the (pretend) cowboy boots-- 
 
Together, the boys made an odd duo, but, thankfully, they were still able to fake fight, no matter how unlikely this showdown might be.
 
But, wait! There are now THREE boys to dress! And one can't fight Mom's ideas at all! And soooooo, may I introduce... ho, ho, ho, Green Giant James!
 
Truthfully, the kid had NO interest in this outfit, so I guess his stand was against the "Jolly" part of the costume. Still, it took some TIME cutting apart a fake plant and gluing leaves over an old cut-up baby blanket and hat! Surely, he appreciated his mother's efforts!
 

No? The answer's still no?
 
Well, I guess James did present a compelling objection: If a costume isn't edible, what on Earth is the point???
 
Anyway, the giant and I stayed home for the sporadic trick-or-treaters while Dad and the big boys braved the wind and rain for door-to-door begging. I feel guilty complaining in the wake of Hurricane Sandy, but the weather conditions here were less than ideal. Patrick came home early with his pants literally wet up to his knees-- 
 
Elliott, who--golly, if only I was making this up--wished the candy-givers a "happy All Hallows' Eve" at every house, returned to examine his haul.
(It was only afterward I noticed that leaf tucked in his hat... How does THAT happen?)
 
Patrick had peeled off to get dry PJs on, but a quick, blurry photo shows the intense scrutiny the reunited brothers gave to their combined candy-- 
:) That's what it's all about...  
 
So, another year's in the blogging books! I'll let our jack-o-lanterns do the closing. That's Elliott's on the left and Patrick's on the right. (James chose the no-carve option this year, bless his heart.)
 
Elliott, being a perfectionist like his lovable, controlling mother, designed his jack-o-lantern on paper and let me transfer the drawing and carve. Patrick said "pshhhht" to that nonsense, grabbed his Magic Marker and required no supervision or assistance. (I ended up helping with the carving, but I swear this kid would've done the whole face if we let him!)
 
Hope you had a great Halloween, too!
 

2 comments:

Weekend Cowgirl said...

They are so cute!! Love the costumes...

Anonymous said...

I am positive the glass of wine I imbibed shortly before finding this site had nothing to do with my guffaws throughout the entire tale. Absolutely hysterical and FUN to read. Loved it all, but I must say, had I seen that first photo of James and NOT be planning a trip at last to see my darling boys, I think I would've stopped right there and wailed! Love, love, love you guys and can't wait to see you all.