Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Memos these boys never got

 
Memo to Patrick--

It's OK--normal even!--to feel unsure and uneasy at the beginning of a new school year.

The hesitation has begun and, while Mom, Dad and teacher all think it's normal adjustment period stuff, I see Patrick looking to his older brother and feeling like he's not measuring up. :(  I just want to bear hug him until he learns the routine, gets used to his new school and makes a good friend.

Oh, and P.S. to Paddy: While it'd be exceedingly appropriate, your music teacher's name is actually Mrs. Wilson, not Miss Whistle.


Memo to Elliott--
 
No one likes school as much as you. Have you ever noticed that?
 
This memo comes with two stories.
 
1. I will never forget one fall 2010 afternoon when I headed to the school yard to pick up my big Kindergartner, Elliott. I smiled as I watched young kids being young kids, goofing around and playing. Then, my gaze shifted to a small group of teachers who were simultaneously throwing their heads back in laughter. In the middle, looking way up and workin' the crowd, was Elliott. Ladies, ladies! You don't need to call me 'Mr. Scully'! I'm fine with 'Principal Scully'! (Of course, I don't know what he was actually saying, but I can only assume I'm not that far off.)
 
2. While brainstorming gift ideas for his seventh birthday this past summer, Elliott offered two solid thoughts: a trip to Cars Land in California OR year-round school. Seriously. From the mouth of my crazy babe.






















Memo to James (And, yes. This one is shocking.)--

A spurt--as in "growth spurt"--is, by definition, short-lived.
 
E.g. "Baby might be eating more than normal now. A growth spurt around three months is common." Yeah, well, what if it's a lifetime growth spurt??! 'Cause my giant is huge and happy. Also, if anyone can explain how I'm NOT down to 47ish pounds after exclusively breastfeeding this tank since May 31, I'm all ears.
 

3 comments:

orahoods said...

I love the stories...doesn't it make you wonder where James will fit as his personality develops?!

Anonymous said...

You certainly capture photos that illustrate your narrative (and even though I'd heard the stories before, I still chuckled). It's so amazing how remarkably diverse siblings can be and so loveable! Please tell James his Nonna is dutifully using arm weights in preparation for her next visit but that there is no Giant Baby contest!

Tracy Keyes said...

I just love to read your writing---it is hilarious and creative and relate-able! ANNNND---Patrick's music teacher is actually names Mrs. WESSEL-so close to Whistle--our class and Mrs. Banks' class have the Colonial Hills Related Arts staff that comes over and teaches;)