Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Bittersweet

I've had this post as a draft for a while now. It got longer and longer, and I stressed about doing it right. So, I deleted most of it. I went with "short and sweet" for this "bittersweet" post.

It was a Thursday when James took his first breath. Just four days later, one of my most favorite people took her last.

Because these two events happened in such close proximity, I can't seem to disconnect my son from my grandmother. Every time I calculate his age, I instantly know how long it's been since she died. 

So, Grandma, if you're reading--and I think you are because I can clearly picture a large, user-friendly computer kiosk next to the boxed Chardonnay in the sky--I miss you.

And that baby you never got to meet (but were very concerned about in the last months of your time here) is doing just great.

I hope you're having one HELLUVA reunion up there with your husband, your sister, your son and more!

That's Grandma holding baby Patrick in 2007. Every stinkin' day, she prayed that this little dude would eat more food. (Grandma, it hasn't worked yet! He's still as skinny as a rail! Can't you pull some strings up there??)
 

 
This one of GiGi (or great-grandma) and Elliott in 2010 is one of my favorites. She always wanted stories about the things this precocious child would say and do. Always good for a laugh!
 
I know I'm just one of a zillion people who loved this lady, but I always felt we shared a special connection.
 
Now, in the quiet moments with James--for better or worse--I remember her.   
 
Love you, Grandma!
 

4 comments:

Jill said...

Well written. What a special lady.

Bittersweet for sure. It's as if she was waiting on James to arrive.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Megan said...

Bittersweet for sure. Same story at our house- Tom's grandpa died the morning after Brody was born. Sooo hard.

Whitney said...

Thanks, guys. Megan, I didn't know how well you could relate! I seriously don't think there could be a WORSE time to try to deal with death... Just after giving birth, you're physically drained and riding the hormone roller coaster while you try to get your head around the new person in the world. I still don't think I've forgiven my grandma for her timing!

Jill said...

What a beautiful post and tribute to your Grandma. My grandma passed away about 9 hours after my Isaac was born. I always feel like she passed then so that she could be a special prayer angel from above for my little man. I hope you find peace in the quiet moments with your baby James.